Making Your Wishes Known - Tips for completing your advance directive
An Advance Health Care Directive is simply your written wishes and instructions
for your health care if you cannot speak for yourself.
You only have to choose two things:
- Who will speak for you.
- What you would want to happen and what choices you would want regarding
the type of end-of-life treatments you would or would not want to have,
as well as pain relief.
Decide who will carry out your wishes.
Discuss your end-of-life decisions with important people to you.
- What is important to you when you are dying?
- Are there specific medical treatments that you especially want or do not want?
- If you have a terminal illness, do you want aggressive treatment or comfort care?
- When you are dying, do you want to be in a nursing home, hospital or at home?
Download an advance directive form •