Inter-Community Hospital has been providing health care services to the community for over 90 years.
The nonprofit facility in Covina provides high-quality health care to
the East San Gabriel Valley with a wide range of medical, surgical and
Inter-Community began as the seven-bed Covina Hospital and was founded in 1922 by Melisse
and Mary Wittler, a nurse and a teacher. Mary made the hospital's
mortgage payments with the pay she earned from her teaching position,
while Melisse ran the hospital.
|The demands of running a busy hospital became too much for the Wittler
sisters, and in 1947 they put the hospital up for sale. Eleven communities
raised enough money to purchase it and the hospital was re-named "Inter-Community"
to reflect the contributions of these different communities.