Who Can Benefit
For pediatric and adult patients who are experiencing difficulties swallowing, Citrus Valley Centers for Rehabilitation Services offers a Dysphagia program planned and implemented by Masters level Speech Pathologists.
How We Can Help
- Videofluoroscopy Swallow Studies/Modified Barium Swallow Studies: This is a radiographic/X-ray evaluation of the anatomy and physiology of the oral, pharyngeal and esophageal musculature utilized to determine the cause of swallowing difficulty during the swallowing process.
- Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES): This is a comprehensive evaluation of the pharyngeal phase of swallowing. A Speech Pathologist passes a flexible laryngoscope that permits evaluation of the swallowing mechanisms and functions.
- Neuromuscular Electric Stimulation used in the Facial Muscle Exercise Program
- DPNS: Deep Pharyngeal Neuromuscular Stimulation
- Therapeutic oral motor and pharyngeal exercise program
- Modification of diet textures and liquid consistencies
- Therapeutic compensatory strategy instruction
- Ongoing patient, family and caregiver education
- Comprehensive clinical evaluation
- Referrals to specialists may include Nutritional Counseling, Otolaryngology, Gastroenterology, Radiology, Neurology, Occupational Therapy, and Physical Therapy
Types of Patients Referred
- Traumatic brain injury
- Cerebral Palsy
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Huntington’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Age related changes
- Acute Inflammations (due to fungus, bacteria or viruses, chemical irritants or traumatic insults)
- Post surgery for head/neck cancer